The most important sights in Karlsruhe are:
- Karlsruhe Palace (Karlsruher Schloss) - Palace of the Margrave of Baden-Durlach, erected in 1715
- Federal Constitutional Court (Bundesverfassungsgericht) - Supreme constitutional court for the Federal Republic of Germany, established by the German Basic Law (Grundgesetz)
- ZKM Center for Art and Media (ZKM) - Museum of new media and contemporary art, including a Zuse 22 computer built in 1957
- State Art Gallery Karlsruhe (Staatliche Kunsthalle Karlsruhe) - Art museum displaying a collection covering the 14th to 20th century
Please have also a look at the official guide for tourists in Karlsruhe that is provided by the Karlsruhe Tourist Information.
Important sights close to Karlsruhe are:
- Alsace and Strasbourg (Elsass und Strassburg) - French region of Alsace and the city of Strasbourg, which is the official seat of the European parliament and classified a World Heritage site by UNESCO (40 min by train from Karlsruhe)
- Heidelberg (Heidelberg) - The city of Heidelberg, which is a popular tourist destination due to its romantic cityscape, the Heidelberg Castle, and the baroque style Old Town, is located about 50km north of Karlsruhe (45min by train)
Local Public Transport
The conference venue AkademieHotel Karlsruhe may be reached from the city center and the railway station using the line S1 with the directions Ettlingen and Bad Herrenalb or the line S11 with the direction Ittersbach. Please exit at stop Schloss Rüppurr.
The most convenient ticket for the time of the conference is the “City quattro” KVV ticket, which is includes 4 tickets that are valid for one day each. Another option are single journey (2 zones) tickets, which are also avaible in batches of four tickets, or the daily ticket “Citysolo”. The most convenient way to buy KVV tickets online is the app DB Navigator, which is also the app of choice to buy train tickets in Germany.
Important: Tickets that have been bought at automated vending machines have to be validated before travelling.
Please check the ETS Electronic Timetabling Service of the Karlsruhe Transport Authority for the current time tables.
How to Get There
If you get to the conference by plane, there are three suitable airports near Karlsruhe: Frankfurt (FRA), Stuttgart (STR), and Strassbourg (SXB). From all three airports, there are frequent train connections to Karlsruhe, which take about 60-90 minutes.