Social EventsIn addition to the technical activities, SIGCOMM 2016 will organize the following social events.
Welcome Reception, Monday 22nd
SIGCOMM 2016 will celebrate a Welcome Reception at the Oceania Convention Center, 19h. Drinks and hors d'oeuvre will be served.
N2Women Dinner, Monday 22nd
SIGCOMM'16 is experimenting a new format for the N2Women event at SIGCOMM. The event will be held over a dinner at Restaurante Canto do Mar Ingleses (Rua das Gaivotas 984, Praia dos Ingleses District — see location on the map below), for a longer duration compared to typical N2Women lunches, and will be conducted on Monday night before the conference. N2Women Dinner aims to foster the minority community within SIGCOMM, and make it easier for the under-represented attendees to fully participate in the conference.
Walking Directions: We will meet at the Reception, and walk to the restaurant.
RSVP: If you plan to attend the dinner, please RSVP and let us know your dietary restriction.
Conference Banquet, Tuesday 23rd
The Conference Banquet will take place at the Slaviero Essential Florianópolis Ingleses (Rua das Gaivotas 1114, Praia dos Ingleses District — see location on the map below).
The banquet menu shall include:
- Oyster Bar — Fresh Baby Oysters accompanied with Lambrusco Italian wine, Mandarin and Sicilian limes, Brazilian rum (also known as "cachaça"), selected Olive Oils, and Tabasco sauce.
- Entreés — Crab meat in the shell; Frescal Shepherd's pie (Frescal is a dried meat produced in the highland region of Santa Catarina); Shrimp Bobó (shrimp in a purée of manioc meal, coconut milk, and other ingredients); Beans Soup (accompanied with bacon and chives).
- Salads — Special selection Green salad (accompanied with Gran Mestri cheese and seasoned with raspberry sauce); Smoked Poultry salad; and Styllu's salad (tropical fruits seasoned with yogurt and mint sauce).
- Main Courses — Charcoal-grilled Angus T-bone steak; Country-style chicken; Mullet seasoned with Tucupi (yellow sauce extracted from wild manioc root) and Jambu (acmella oleracea leaves, typical to the Amazon region); Penne Granno Duro with wild mushrooms; Home-made Polenta (dish prepared with boiled cornmeal) stuffed with local colonial cheese; and Blumenau's Sausages Wagoners' Rice.
- Desserts — Special selection of mini-mousses, offered in the following flavors: Chocolate, Soursop, Passion fruit, and Sicilian lime.
- Drink Selection — Beers, soft drinks, and "caipirinhas" made of limes and Brazilian rum ("cachaça") or vodka.
Student Dinner, Wednesday 24th
On Wednesday August 24th, SIGCOMM student registrants will have additional time to share experiences in the student dinner, and also get their own chance to mingle with senior researchers. The student dinner will take place at Ataliba Churrascarias Florianópolis (Rodovia José Carlos Daux 3008, Saco Grande District — see location on the map below).
Important update: We will provide transportation to Ataliba Churrascarias Florianópolis, departing from Oceania Convention Center right after the Community Feedback Session, with stops on the following hotels: Slaviero, Porto do Sol, Costa Norte, and Oceania.
The menu shall include a special selection of Premium and Exotic, Grilled and Roasted Meats, and a variety of Vegetarian Dishes, Seafood, Sushi, Salads, and Desserts. Beef selection shall include: Top Sirloin Cap ("Picanha", Brazilian traditional cut), Hump Steak, Sirloin Strip Steak, Filet Mignon (Tenderloin Steak), Ribeye Steak, Baby Beef, Rump Steak, Sirloin Tri-Tip Roast, Flank Steak, Premium and Short Ribs, among others, all served following the Brazilian rodízio style (all you can eat, round-robin steak serving).